Saturday, December 02, 2006

Blank book covers


So what do you think about blank paperback book covers that you can decorate yourself? I found reference to it on Bookdwarf. Bookdwarf got it from Chekhov's Mistress who said the idea came from Penguin UK.

I don't like the idea for various reasons: I don't draw well, a blank white book cover will get dirty quickly (and I'd hate that), I want a sharp, crisp, cleverly designed trade or popular paperback to carry around. I love the feel of a well-designed paperback (doesn't have to be glossy as most trade paperbacks are not) and I do carry a book wherever I go.

Here's the Penguin gallery of covers that people have already drawn and submitted. They look great BUT...

A quote from the Penguin blog:
According to consumer research conducted on what factors matter to people when they decide whether or not to pick up a book in a bookshop, the cover design comes out as most important. So this might be the stupidest thing we've ever done.
Well maybe, I guess we'll see. I don't think it's caught on in the U.S. yet...
theteach

No comments: