Sunday, January 21, 2007

Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee



J. M. Coetzee (pronounced cut ze' a) is a South African author (now living in Australia) and academic. A novelist and literary critic as well as a translator, Coetzee won the 2003 Nobel Prize in Literature. His 1999 novel Disgrace, for which he won the Booker Prize, was in my opinion, a magnificently told story of retribution for South African apartheid. What happens is horrifying and yet, understandable, if I can say so.

I am now about to read Slow Man, in which Coetzee ponders life, love and the mind/ body connection in his latest heavy-hitter; he also plays a little trick.

In brief, a summary from Amazon: When retired photographer Paul Rayment loses his leg in a bicycle accident, his lengthy, lonely recuperation forces him to reflect on a life he deems wasted.

You can read a review or two here.

I'll be back to let you know what I think of the novel.

theteach :)

No comments: