Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut dies

US literacy figure KURT VONNEGUT has died following a fall at his New York City home. He was 84.
Vonnegut, who became a cult figure among students in the 1960s and 1970s with his classics of US counterculture, died from brain injuries after the accident yesterday (11Apr07).
He will be best remembered for Slaughterhouse Five, which was based on his experience of the firebombing of Dresden, Germany, during World War II.
The author is survived by his wife, photographer Jill Krementz, their daughter and his six other children.

......."I've given up on it ... It won't happen. ... The Army kept me on because I could type, so I was typing other people's discharges and stuff. And my feeling was, 'Please, I've done everything I was supposed to do. Can I go home now?' That's what I feel right now. I've written books. Lots of them. Please, I've done everything I'm supposed to do. Can I go home now?" -Kurt Vonnegut

New York Times review of Slaughterhouse Five, or the Children's Crusade.

“So it goes.”

theteach Smileys

No comments: